Monday, October 11, 2010

Bzzzt, pft..........

An interesting thing happened the other day. I was riding down the road when I suddenly lost all power. Normally this happens when my battery comes unplugged or something like that, but not this time. After checking all my power connections I checked my fuse. It seemed ok until I pulled it out. Turns out going up my hill it had gotten so hot that I had melted all the solder that held the fuse together. It happened over time which explains why the fuse didn't break but I was still surprised when half of it just pulled away from the glass. I swapped it for the spare I always carry and was on my way again. The fuse lasted about 9 months so I think I got my $1's worth.

I'll be heading down to industrial liquidators again for a new spare but it still amazes me that my fuse holder got so hot as to melt the solder without the fuze breaking.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your blog. I'm interested in why you went with that kind of motor instead of the one in rear wheel? I'm getting 48V 12 Ah LiFePo4 battery soon and can't wait to build my e-bike.

    Chajna

    ReplyDelete
  2. My main reason was torque. Because my motor goes through the bikes gearing I have more options with speed and climbing ability. Also the cyclone 500W is a 24V system meaning I can get more amps for the same price. That equals more distance. 48V 12Ah is a powerful setup but 12Ah will only take you about 10 miles in my experience. If that's all you need then you will more than likely enjoy that very much. There is less maintenance involved with a hub motor which can be nice.

    ReplyDelete