Thursday, April 8, 2010

New Power Connectors


So I originally had Molex connectors on my bike and they worked reasonably well until one of them basically fell apart on me. That was when I decided that I was going to bite the bullet and get some decent power connectors. Here's what I ended up with Anderson Power Poles(I'm not endorsing this site, I got mine at a local hobby shop)

I've used them in the past, the problem is they are so darn expensive I hate going out to buy a new batch when I run out. At about a $1 a pop they get pricey quick. For example I needed 6 total for me to connect my bike together with my new Turnigy Watt meter plus the extension cable I decided to make. Luckily these things are real durable and I don't expect to have to replace them all that often. I got everything together, problem was I took a shortcut with the soldering and I have a loose connection in the watt meter that causes the bike to work "sometimes". The advantage of the Power Poles is they are completely modular. I had to hook them up in a specific configuration to make the watt meter go in the middle. When I discovered the loose solder joint all I had to do what take the watt meter out, pop the connecter back into it's individual pieces and swap them to hook right into the battery.

Because of that shortcut with the soldering(which involve me not cutting off the pre-soldered wires of the watt meter) I have to redo it all over again but this time I'll do it right. At least I was able to hook it all together and discover a not so nice thing about the meter. It doesn't maintain any info other than the current voltage of the battery and I had planned to just have it in my bag while riding and check the levels every so often. All other readings are real time only. This means I have to reroute all the cables of the bike up to the dash where I will mount it with velcro, a bit of a pain but I spent good money on this thing and I WILL MAKE IT WORK!

Since I have to go through all this extra work I'm sorry to report that the completed pictorial guide to hookup will have to wait until this weekend at the earliest. But, in responce to the comment I can say this much. When hooking up the Turnigy you plug the side that says "Source" into the battery and the side that says "Load" into the motor. Red matched to Red and Black matched to Black. If that doesn't answer your question you'll have to wait for the pics.

No comments:

Post a Comment